12 ways to use coconut oil to improve your health
By Jenny Mathieson
Coconut oil is an edible oil, like olive or macadamia oil and is extracted from the kernel or meat of mature coconuts. The oil is made up of around 90% saturated fat, 6% monounsaturated fat, and 3% polyunsaturated fat and is mostly comprised of medium chain fatty acids (MCFAs). It is very heat stable and has a long shelf life.
Much research has been done on coconut oil and it is reputed to have healing, metabolism boosting and anti-inflammatory properties. It many uses include dietary, medical and industrial applications.
Some tips for coconut oil:
- For skin care use place some coconut oil, either solid or liquid, on your palm. Rub your palms together and rub onto the desired area of the skin. Most people make the mistake of using too much coconut oil, use sparingly, the skin can only absorb a certain amount. Be sure to use a quality Virgin Cold Pressed Coconut oil.
- Apply to cracked lips instead of lip balm.
- Use on cracked and hardened heels.
- Great rubbed into skin, nourishes and softens.
- Add to bath with essential oils, pat skin dry with towel, skin is beautifully soft, with no need to moisturise.
- Use as a skin exfoliant – add salt or sugar to the oil before exfoliating.
- Instead of using harsh chemicals try this oil as a make-up remover.
- Has been documented to assist in the healing of skin conditions such as eczema., rub a small amount regularly onto patches of eczema.
- Apply to your hair as a deep conditioner or treatment. Use a tablespoon (less if you have short hair) of coconut oil, apply to hair and comb through. Wrap your hair in a soft towel or shower cap and leave as long as possible. Remove with a gentle shampoo.
- Use when cooking or as a spread instead of butter, it is easy to digest and also produces a longer sustained energy and increases your metabolism.
- Boost your immune system – coconut oil is made up of healthy fats: lauric acid, caprylic acid and capric acid which contain antifungal, antibacterial, antiviral properties.
- Use in cooking.
Coconut Oil is available for purchase at Endeavour Wellness Clinics.