Memory Boosting Salmon Cakes with Antioxidant-packed Berry Salad
By Larissa Gilroy, BHSc Nat student
Packed with omega 3 fatty acids eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA)to boost brain power these cakes are a great way to get your quota of fish for the week. Spice them up with some warming ginger to improve your digestion and circulation. Add a complementary summer berry salad with antioxidant-packed blueberries and extra memory enhancing walnuts which are the only nut source of alpha-linolenic acid giving you more omega 3’s.
A delicious way to ‘let food be thy medicine’
- 200g salmon steak (skin off)
- 4 medium potatoes
- 2 eggs
- 1 clove of garlic (crushed)
- 1 small chili
- 1 tsp finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 small bunch parsley finely chopped
- Salt and pepper to season
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- Breadcrumbs (homemade, gluten-free – whatever you fancy)
- Heat a fry pan and add a little olive oil. Pan fry the salmon steak until well cooked. Remove from pan and rest.
- Peel and quarter potatoes and cook in boiling water. Drain and mash.
- When salmon has cooled flake with fork into a large bowl and add herbs and spices. Add the cooled potato and season with salt and pepper.
- Whisk the eggs in a jug and pour into dish. Combine the mixture and make into patties (it should make 8 patties)
- Roll patties in the breadcrumbs
- Heat some olive oil in the pan and add the patties. Cook until golden brown on each side.
- Rocket and baby spinach mix
- ½ punnet of blueberries
- 1 avocado – sliced
- ½ cup walnuts – roughly chopped
- 5-6 cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 pear sliced
- 2 tb spoon Olive oil
- 1 tb spoon Apple cider vinegar
- Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl.
- Mix the olive oil and apple cider vinegar adding the salt and pepper to season. Pour over just before you serve.
- Place 1-2 patties on each plate and serve with a slice of lemon and a generous portion of salad.